Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Angela Aki -- Gift to Music

I just found the most divine song. I wish I was in fluent in Japanese; in fact, it is a tragedy that I can't understand it and am left with translation.

Angela Aki. A name musician with the most power I've seen in a long time. Her voice is an angel's. She can transition from different modes, tonalities, powers, and lyrics. I can't attest to how awesome her voice is. She is huge in Japan, and for a good reason. I love that she's here to be authentic. She doesn't dolly herself up to make fans and business spring; she is herself through and through. She has a story to tell. She believes in something huge and she sees people in such an adoring way. I am so thankful she is here with us for a time to share her sensational gift, her kindness, and my god, her voice.




I just listened to this and "The Death to Mortality."

Here's the English translation to "Requiem."


The last thing I saw was 2 bright headlamps from the opposite lane
In that night when it rained heavily
I lost my life just like that
I awoke to someone calling my name
It was a voice of unprecedented gentleness
“Open that crimson door in front of you
And cross over to this side” it said
“There’re some people I wish to bid farewell to
Can you grant me just a little bit more time?”
“In that case, let’s wait for one night only
This door closes for eternity tomorrow morning
So please take care”
After promising to return
The broken clock started to move
(Second Movement)
I broke the silence of the night
And returned back to earth
I have to bid farewell
Before dawn arrives
Travelling to where you are
“I’m coming to see you”
Returned to the hometown
With the nostalgic scenery I grew up with
I found mother lighting a candle silently, praying
“Mother, I’m home”
Mother goodbye
There’s a truth I’ve found only after accepting death
There are things I never said because I took them for granted
Not once, I could bring myself to say this
I could never find the words
Thank you for loving me, I am truly grateful
“Be well, Mother”
I have to bid farewell
Before dawn arrives
Travelling to where you are
I found you at the seashore
Tears flowing while gazing at the moon
“Oh, my lover”
My love goodbye
There’s a truth I’ve found only after accepting death
There are things I never said because I took them for granted
I could never bring this across well
That I found happiness having met you
Thank you for loving me, I am truly grateful
“Goodbye, my love”
If only I told you this, when I was still alive (repeat)
(Third Movement)
aeternam habeas requiem
(May you have eternal rest)
(Forth Movement)
With this, I came to the end of my journey
Finally pushing open that crimson door
I found, waiting for me, a huge silver ship
Waiting to take me for a ride into eternity

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fm20090227r1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment